About Dr. Myra Weiss (DSW)
Myra Weiss is a doctoral-level Clinical Social Worker, with a post-graduate Certificate in Family Therapy (working with individuals, couples, and families). She is a Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work (BCD) and has reached the highest rank in teaching family therapy (Approved Supervisor: American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists – AAMFT).
Her own personal psychotherapy experience and forty-year meditation practice proved the potentially transformative possibilities of meditation.
Dr. Weiss’ personal experience was the initiative to study and teach Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). She was fortunate enough to study with Jon Kabat-Zinn, Saki Santorelli and senior faculty at the Center for Mindfulness (CFM)/UMass Medical Center (Worcester, MA) in their Professional Training for Healthcare Professionals, as well as the Teaching Development Intensive (TDI).
»Click Here to contact Dr. Weiss to schedule a free evaluation.
Background in Teaching – Private Practice
- Taught and directed the Hunter School of Social Work Post-Masters Program in Clinical Social Work - Family Therapy Unit
- Continuous teaching MBSR to individuals and groups for 12 years
- Continuous teaching Advanced/Graduate groups for people who have completed a six-eight session MBSR Course, taught by Dr. Weiss or elsewhere
- Provides workshops on "Teaching MBSR to Individuals" to social work students, MBSR teachers and non-profit social-service organizations
- Private supervision/consultation to MBSR teachers on group and individual teaching of MBSR
Publications & News
Dr. Myra Weiss’s approach to teaching Meditation to individuals and dyads (2-persons at one time):
- Assessment of individual and inter-personal dynamics.
- Create a comfortable, empathic environment that recognizes a person’s impediments to learning meditaton.
- Flexibility of methods in teaching meditation.
Why People Choose To Learn Individually Or With One Other Person:
- Their scheduling difficulties.
- They want more individual learning than can be gotten in a group.
- Not comfortable in groups situations.
Read The Reviews! / See What Our Clients Say
"Dr. Weiss has done it again! Her other CDs have helped me with the stress and challenges I experience. This new CD helps me address and ease the daily pain I have, as a sufferer of Fibromyalgia. Her calming voice and guidance helps me focus on and then relieve my pain. All I have to do is lay down, push the start button, and listen. This CD should be a staple in the offices of Pain Management Providers."
"This is a wonderful CD that instantly gave me calmness to breathe through my physical pain and relieved a great deal of pain when I finished the meditation. It's slighlty different from Dr. Weiss' other CD's yet very effective. It's wonderful to know that there is something that helps pain other than medication.I strongly recommend it."
"In today's world, we're always looking to go from 0 to 60 mph as quickly as possible. MBSR teaches us to go from 60 mph to 0, while maintaining awareness of the world around us."
"Myra gave very customized suggestions to each individual so that no one in the group got lost along the way. Everyone was both equally important as both a student and teacher."